Our Township was
first settled in 1835. Those settlers came to a forested land abundant
in wildlife and inhabited by Native Americans. The early pioneers
overcame many obstacles while transforming this wilderness to an
agricultural community. They cleared much of the forest in order to till
the land and build log homes and barns. In March of 1837 the citizens
met at the home of Solomon Skiff to organize the township. The name "Liberty" was unanimously adopted for this new community. The very next
month, April 1837, the first election was held in Liberty with a total
of 21 votes cast.
In the years that followed, Liberty Township grew in
population and industry. By the dawn of the 20th Century, Liberty Township
had its own post office, blacksmith shop, sawmill, flour mill, cheese
factory, gristmill, tavern, ball park, ice house, coal yard, three churches,
a general store, two campgrounds, a resort beach house and eight one-room
schoolhouses. Even with all this progress, Liberty Township was still a
tightly knit agricultural community where neighbors gathered for potluck
dinners, cards or a Sunday ball game.
The 20th Century brought many changes to Liberty
Township. The Township is now bordered on the east by U.S.-127, on the south
by the Jackson/Hillsdale county line and Vicary Road (partially), on the
west by Thorne Road (partially) and on the north by Kimmel Road (partially).
We are now split between 5 post office zip codes, 5 school districts and 3
intermediate school districts. There are two lakes within our borders with
public access, those being Round Lake and Crispell Lake. There is also a
public boat launch for Pine Hill Lake in our township, although the majority
of the lake is located in Hanover Township. Most of the commercial activity
is concentrated along U.S.-127 with isolated businesses at the Liberty Mill
Pond, in the Round/Pine Hill Lake area, and scattered throughout the
Township. Liberty Township remains mainly a rural residential community
mixed with farms and wildlife.